In 1871, Mount Pleasant church was built by a group of free Blacks and former slaves where it served its congregation for 131 years. In the years the church was open, many people found refuge, hope, and comfort within its walls. Unfortunately in 2002, the church closed its doors to the community. However, this was not permanent. Evelyn Thompson Lawerence was a teacher at Carnegie School devoted countless years of her life to collecting and preserving the history of Smyth County’s Black residents. Lawerence was one of the last members of Mount Pleasant church and she eventually began, with the help of others, to convert the church into a museum and community center. In 2015, Lawrence died just months after receiving the deeds to the church. With her dead, other members of the community rose to the task of maintaining and preserving the museum. Now, Margaret Edwards, Diane Hayes, Regina Roberts, and Deborah Montgomery serve as leaders for the Mount Pleasant Preservation Society. This museum serves as a center for learning and reflecting about the history of Smyth County and the residents within it. It is a dedicated historical landmark and is an important place to the community. To learn more about the Mount Pleasant Preservation Society Museum or to visit, contact Diane Hayes at 276-780-3950.